Thursday, December 23, 2010

What is your favorite...............?



Last evening we had the pleasure of enjoying a dinner with some great friends.  Dinner was a pork tenderlion, mixed veggies, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Dessert was a variety of homemade goodies, cookies, fudge, apple pie and cheesecake.  Cheesecake is Miss T's favorite dessert.

Miss T is the official "little sis" to this family and "adopted grand" to the grandparents.  Such sweet people, the Grandma (68) keeps saying "thank you for your friendship"; the Grandpa had a stroke many years ago, it only affected partially one side.  He's such a hoot!  and so smart too!

We played "scattergories" after dinner....oh the words we came up with!  My hubby is not one for playing games, so Mr Stick In The Mud sat and listened, occasionally chiming in to vote on an answer.  I think this is one of my favorite games.

I received a "Friendship" heart glass ornament from the Grands.  How sweet!

Miss T got a Teal Tinkerbell pendant from their daughter straight from Disney!  I love Disney!  We will be there next June where Miss T will be dancing in the Parade!  This family is also going so it is sure to be a great time!  Once the Holiday's are past, we will get together and plan our trip.  I think we're going to go a day earlier and probably stay a bit longer than the 4 days we are already signed up for.


After dessert, the Mom asked me "of your Mom and Grandma, what are your favorite foods from their table?"  Well, of course from my Nanny's table it is Fried Chicken, and rice and gravy and speckled butterbeans and collards and biscuits!!!!!!

Then she wanted to know what the secret was to the Fried Chicken.....I'd have to kill her if I told her!  After all, she's a Yankee and this was a Southern Recipe!

I struggled with Mom's table.  Not that she's not a good cook....SHE JUST DOESN'T COOK MUCH!  Haha...but overall it may have to be the Country Style Steak....and she learned that one from my Dad's Mom.  So....is there an original recipe from her?  Hmmmm YES, her Pot Roast!!!!

Have you ever noticed that you can make the same dish, by the same recipe and it just doesn't come out the same?  What is the trick?  I find that you cannot CANNOT substitute certain items.  Cheese is one and creme cheese, peanut butter, chocolates -- I mean, really, use the real brand, not the store brand!!

I am missing one of my Favorite Cookie Recipes - Hungry Boy Cookies - John, I sent you some one year and I wanted to do it again.  But where's that darn recipe card?????  Time to tear up the house looking!

What is your favorite.............?


2 comments:

garnett109 said...

And those cookies were the best.

Ken Riches said...

Hope your Holidays were/are spectacular :o)