Friday, May 27, 2011

Ode to a Friend

http://southernbelleesquire.blogspot.com/2011/05/honorable-john-j-carroll-iii-presiding.html

Ashley sums it up in her blog about our esteemed Judge Carroll.

I met John not long after he had become Judge for our District.  We had a mutual legal friend and I introduced myself as such.  Noting the Judge's witty characteristics, I tossed in a bit of my own wit too.  Quickly I was happy to make his acquaintance and find him to be a "real" person, a regular guy.  The genuine kind, not the stuffy judge behind the bench better than you kind.  This man was human and compassionate.  He had a veal for life and people. 

I had opportunity to watch him in action - in Court.  He commanded respect, he deserved respect.  He treated the cases fairly, and didn't take any beef!  If it was right it was right; if it was WRONG - you knew it!  Someone asked me once if I thought that his judgment was fair and I said "Yes".  Most people leave court thinking a ruling isn't fair.  But, crime isn't fair - did you steal from Granny?  Well, guess what....just because she's your Granny doesn't excuse anything!!

He was always happy to meet you - see you on the street, in the store, at a restaurant or at our kids school (our daughters are in the same grade/school/classes).  John enjoyed being with his family.  We don't often see that in many Dads (parents) these days.  It was refreshing to know that John Carroll was one of the "good guys", the one you could count on, a man of integrity.  Our community has suffered a great loss.  John was giving, kind and funny, always had a smile and something to say!!

When John was called back to Iraq, I remember seeing him at school in his desert clothes.  I don't remember if it was before going or just after coming back.  It seemed like he wanted to make sure to speak with his children at that time, before/after his deployment.  Some would have just said "hello/goodbye" as they passed each other at home.  I wish all parents paid this much close attention to their kids.  When he came home, the school posted a banner outside "WELCOME HOME".

He truly touched the lives of all he came in contact with. 

So, Heaven......you've received a special Angel this week.  Beware:  this one comes with stories and wit and may be toking on a cigar, but you'll be glad to have him!

John, friend, thank you for all that you stood for, all that you have shown us.  We will miss you!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

What a wonderful tribute. He sounds like he was a wonderful guy. I know he will be missed.

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken Riches said...

A sad passing :o(